Can be found on lower boughs of tree
-> Spiders and mites:
Look for tiny red and brown dots
Resembles a dusting of snow on the tree
-> Pine needle scale:
Look for white spaces on needles or branches and tiny red bugs when they hatch
Brown cocoons that hatch black and yellow flies
-> Praying mantises:
Light tan, walnut sized eggs, will hatch after many days of staying indoors.
-> Bark Beetles:
Common on Monterey pines. Look for small holes and sawdust trails on trunk.
5 steps to prevent unwanted Christmas surprises:
- When choosing a tree, examine the branches and trunk. Clip the branches which have eggs.
- Leave the Christmas tree in your garage for some days.
- Bring a white sheet and shake the tree vigorously to remove any bugs.
- Bring a vacuum cleaner and suck the insects in and around the tree.
- Dust the tree and spray with neem oil to kill the bugs in the tree.